Thank you for your interest in volunteering with Casa Latina! We depend on the commitment and energy of over 75 community volunteers to carry out our programs for Latino immigrant workers and their families.
There are many ways of contributing to our programs. Below you will find descriptions of the volunteer positions where we typically need support. While we do not always have openings in every department, we do our best to match volunteer interests with organizational needs.
If you are interested in getting involved, please submit the following volunteer interest form.
|Volunteer Interest Form|
En Camino Gala Volunteers – Saturday, October 7, 2017
- Position Description: Volunteers are key to the success of Casa Latina's En Camino Gala, and we would welcome your help with a variety of tasks before, during, and after the event.
- Click here for more information: http://casa-latina.org/en-camino-gala-2017/volunteer
Day Workers' Center Assistant
- Position Description: Help ensure the smooth running of this vibrant site! This position focuses on communication with prospective employers including: receiving calls requesting workers, processing online worker requests, relaying expectations to employers around fair wages and safe workplace conditions, following up with employers regarding their experience with Casa Latina workers, entering employment and feedback information into a database.
- Requirements: No Spanish required but opportunities to practice conversational Spanish.
- Schedule/Shifts: Commitment is one shift per week for a minimum of 3 months. Schedule: Mon.-Fri. 7:00am-10:30am / Sat. 7:00am-11:00am. We ask that volunteers arrive 15 minutes early.
Monday Evening Childcare and Language Exchange Support
- Position Description: Help provide childcare for Latino families and support for language classes. We rely on volunteers to offer childcare during our Monday evening Spanish/English language classes and language exchange program so that parents can participate. Toys and games provided. Volunteers must enjoy working with children and pass a background check free of charge for volunteers. On evenings with no children (or very few), one or both volunteers will help with the language program through direct participation and/or administrative support.
- Requirements: Intermediate Spanish language skills required. Experience in childcare encouraged.
- Schedule/Shifts: Fall, winter and spring only. Commitment is 3 hours a week; Mondays 5:30PM - 8:30PM; minimum commitment is 3 months. Occasional support for childcare during special events, usually evenings or weekends.
Friday Evening Childcare Provider
- Position Description: Help provide childcare for Latino families. We rely on volunteers to offer childcare during our Friday evening Mujeres Sin Fronteras women's leadership group meetings so that parents can build community and leadership skills. Toys and games provided. Volunteers must enjoy working with children and pass a background check free of charge for volunteers.
- Requirements: Spanish not needed but there are opportunities to practice. Experience in childcare encouraged.
- Schedule/Shifts: Commitment is 2.5 hours a week, Fridays, 5:00pm – 7:00pm. Occasional support for childcare during special events, usually evenings or weekends.
ESL Teacher or Substitute Teacher
- Position Description: ESL classes are taught in the Day Workers' Center, in the morning, Monday through Saturday. The ESL program utilizes popular education and 'practical' ESL theory to cover topics from business negotiations to immigration and health. During the school year Casa Latina also has an evening class program, which mixes English students and Spanish students in a collaborative learning process. Volunteers must first observe five ESL classes prior to teaching.
- Requirements: No Spanish required. Some teaching experience helpful, but not required.
- Schedule/Shifts: Mornings + independent prep time, 3-4 hours a week, 3-month minimum commitment.
As Needs Arise & Special Events Volunteers
- Position Description: These crucial volunteers help with a variety of special projects, administrative tasks, or special events in an as needed capacity and subject to their personal availability. Past support has included data entry, photography, direct action campaigns, document translation, phone banking, and numerous tasks related to the preparation and execution of special events. Please indicate any special skills in your application!
- Requirements: Spanish is occasionally (but not typically) required for these types of projects.
- Schedule/Shifts: These position are “on call” based on volunteer availability; No minimum commitment; times vary throughout the year.
Front Desk Assistant
- Position Description: Greet visitors and program participants, answer phones, take messages, respond to e-mails, direct visitors to appropriate offices, refer walk-ins to other agencies, and provide information regarding social services. Assist with various program tasks and occasional special projects.
- Requirements: Spanish & English proficiency required, also good interpersonal skills, basic organizational and administrative skills, attention to detail, proficient in Microsoft Office, Word, Excel, emails and internet applications, good written and oral communication skills.
- Schedule/Shifts: Two or more mornings per week, 9:00am – 1:00pm (somewhat flexible); Minimum commitment is 6 months.
- Position Description: General administration volunteers assist when and where needed at Casa Latina! Volunteer duties may include filing, organizing, and assisting with everyday tasks in a variety of programs, data entry, Reviewing and proofing documents, updating spreadsheets, assisting with numerous tasks as directed by staff supervisors.
- Requirements: Good interpersonal skills, basic organizational and administrative skills, attention to detail, proficient in Microsoft Office, Word, Excel, emails and internet applications, good written and oral communication skills. Spanish language skills may or may not be required depending on assignment.
- Schedule/Shifts: Schedule and minimum commitment are negotiable with staff supervisor based on details of specific projects.
For additional information about volunteering at Casa Latina please contact Volunteer Coordinator Amanda Chavez.