|Volunteer Interest Form|
Day Workers' Center Assistant
- Position Description: Help ensure the smooth running of this vibrant site! This position focuses on communication with prospective employers including: receiving calls requesting workers, processing online worker requests, relaying expectations to employers around fair wages and safe workplace conditions, following up with employers regarding their experience with Casa Latina workers, entering employment and feedback information into a database.
- Requirements: No Spanish required, but there are opportunities to practice conversational Spanish.
- Schedule/Shifts: Commitment is one shift per week for a minimum of 3 months. Schedule: Mon.-Fri. 7:00am-10:30am / Sat. 7:00am-11:00am. We ask that volunteers arrive 15 minutes early.
- Position Description: Help provide childcare for Latino families at our various Mujeres Sin Fronteras (MSF) meetings at Casa Latina, in Everett, and in Auburn. Schedules for each location are listed below. Volunteers need only commit to one location/schedule. We rely on volunteers to offer childcare in the evenings so that parents can build community and leadership skills. Toys and games provided.
- Requirements: Volunteeers must enjoy working with children and must pass a background check (free of charge for volunteers). Spanish not required, but there are opportunities to practice. Experience in childcare encouraged.
- Locations and Schedules:
MSF in Seattle at Casa Latina: Fridays from 4:45pm-7:00pm
MSF in Everett at Everett YMCA: 2nd and 4th Mondays of the month from 5:00pm-8:00pm
MSF in Auburn at Saint Matthew Episcopal Church: 2nd and 4th Mondays of the month from 5:30pm-8:00pm
- Special note: Since we are in the process of establishing our meetings in Everett and Auburn, we have the highest demand for childcare volunteers who are willing and able to volunteer for those shifts.
- Position Description: Help provide childcare for Latino families and support for language classes. We rely on volunteers to offer childcare during our Monday evening Spanish/English language classes and language exchange program so that parents can participate. Toys and games provided. On evenings with no children (or very few), one or both volunteers will help with the language program through direct participation and/or administrative support.
- Requirements: Volunteers must enjoy working with children and must pass a background check (free of charge for volunteers). Intermediate Spanish language skills required. Experience in childcare encouraged.
- Schedule/Shifts: Fall, winter and spring only. Commitment is 3 hours a week; Mondays 5:30PM - 8:30PM; minimum commitment is 3 months. Occasional support for childcare during special events, usually evenings or weekends.
- Position Description: ESL classes are taught in the Day Workers' Center, in the morning, Monday through Saturday. The ESL program utilizes popular education and 'practical' ESL theory to cover topics from business negotiations to immigration and health. During the school year Casa Latina also has an evening class program, which mixes English students and Spanish students in a collaborative learning process.
- Requirements: Volunteers must observe five ESL classes prior to teaching. No Spanish required. Some teaching experience helpful, but not required.
- Schedule/Shifts: Mornings + independent prep time, 3-4 hours a week, 3-month minimum commitment.
- Position Description: These crucial volunteers help with a variety of special projects, administrative tasks, or special events in an as-needed capacity and subject to their personal availability. Past support has included data entry, photography, direct action campaigns, document translation, phone banking, and numerous tasks related to the preparation and execution of special events. Please indicate any special skills in your application!
- Requirements: Spanish is occasionally (but not typically) required for these types of projects.
- Schedule/Shifts: These positions are “on call” based on volunteer availability; No minimum commitment; times vary throughout the year.
- Position Description: Greet visitors and program participants, answer phones, take messages, respond to e-mails, direct visitors to appropriate offices, refer walk-ins to other agencies, and provide information regarding social services. Assist with various program tasks and occasional special projects.
- Requirements: Spanish & English proficiency required. Good interpersonal skills, basic organizational and administrative skills, attention to detail, proficiency in Microsoft Office, Word, Excel, email, and internet applications, and good written and oral communication skills also required.
- Schedule/Shifts: Two or more mornings per week, 9:00am – 1:00pm (somewhat flexible); Minimum commitment is 6 months.
- Position Description: General administration volunteers assist when and where needed at Casa Latina! Volunteer duties may include filing, organizing, and assisting with everyday tasks in a variety of programs, data entry, reviewing and proofing documents, updating spreadsheets, assisting with numerous tasks as directed by staff supervisors.
- Requirements: Good interpersonal skills, basic organizational and administrative skills, attention to detail, proficiency in Microsoft Office, Word, Excel, email, and internet applications, and good written and oral communication skills required. Spanish language skills may or may not be required depending on assignment.
- Schedule/Shifts: Schedule and minimum commitment are negotiable with staff supervisor based on details of specific projects.